Answered by Robert Halligan
Quality system breakdown structures are created by quality design. Quality design occurs as a result of:
- having a good definition and understanding of the problem
- applying deep knowledge of relevant technologies
- applying a degree of creativity commensurate with the novelty, complexity and importance of the problem/solution, to conceive how the technology knowledge can be best applied to create a quality solution
- using a “divide and conquer” strategy to balance risk due to complexity against definite engineering overhead, trading system breakdown structure depth against system breakdown structure bredth, to achieve an optimum
- employing sound design principles without qualification, and sound design processes selectively, commensurate with the novelty, complexity and importance of the problem/solution.
How to achieve the above fills books, including some not yet written!