Integrated Product Teams
a seminar presented over two days
Presented by Mr. Clive Tudge and Mr. Robert Halligan
Experience is that project personnel have difficulty in delivering complex systems to stakeholders on time, on budget and meeting needs. This experience applies particularly to systems which involve leading technology, or have a large software component, and/or high levels of human interaction.
The Integrated Product Team (IPT) is an organizational unit, sometimes used in conjunction with a strategy of Integrated Product and Process Development (IPPD), to improve project outcomes. IPTs offer demonstrated benefits over other types of structure in terms of capability, cost and schedule performance. IPTs reduce risk in projects which involve significant development or complex integration.
This 2-day seminar provides an overall understanding of Integrated Product Teams. The seminar also overviews the related concepts and methods of IPPD/Concurrent Engineering(CE)/Simultaneous Engineering, as applied to projects of significant size and complexity. The seminar establishes principles for getting the most out of Integrated Product Teams at all stages of a project, with much emphasis on the human characteristics that can work for, or against, that end.
This Integrated Product Teams seminar is designed for people who seek a working knowledge of IPTs.
Who Should Attend This Seminar?
This Integrated Product Teams seminar is designed for personnel of all types who plan, manage, control, specify or support the development or acquisition of complex or important products, including software products, or systems. The seminar will be of particular value to programme managers, project sponsors, project managers and their planning advisers, technical managers, system engineers, software systems engineers, engineers of all other types, stakeholders in the product being developed such as users and manufacturing planners and engineers, and those responsible for the development of policy and processes in the fields of development, acquisition, and supply.
The seminar will also be of value to anyone who will interface with an Integrated Product Team and who seeks an understanding of Integrated Product Teams, e.g. members of functional units. Relevant functional units could include Integrated Logistic Support, Configuration Management, Human Resources, Systems Engineering, Software Engineering, Safety, Finance, etc.
To summarize, the seminar will be of value to anyone who may take on a role within, or in relation to, an Integrated Product Team.
Format and Presentation
The seminar is delivered using a balanced combination of video, presentations, workshops and discussion sessions. The workshops and discussions are focused on putting into practice the techniques covered in the presentations and video.
The workshops and video are used extensively to reinforce learning and to contribute to the development of understanding.
Delegates are provided with a set of comprehensive bound seminar notes covering the presentation material and workshop exercises, a Workshop Workbook, a two-CD CDROM of relevant resources, and other materials and checklists for future reference and use.
This seminar is available worldwide for public and on-site delivery (i.e. at client-provided facilities). This seminar is also available as 1-day, 3-day and 4-day versions.
At the conclusion of this seminar, delegates are expected to have a reasonable working knowledge of Integrated Product Teams, sufficient to contribute to decisions regarding their use. Delegates will be better equipped to work in, or interact with, Integrated Product Teams.
Higher levels of skill and performance in these roles will subsequently be attained through practical experience working with, or in, IPTs.
Delegates are also likely to perform better in a team environment, whether Integrated Product Team or not.
Some Key Questions
- What is an Integrated Product Team? How does an IPT differ from other types of project organizational units?
- What are the benefits of using Integrated Product Teams?
- Will the use of Integrated Product Teams cost more?
- Is there risk in using Integrated Product Teams?
- Can Integrated Product Teams be used successfully in all types of projects?
- Are there other organizational units that may suit you better than the Integrated Product Team?
- Are there variations of Integrated Product Teams that you need to consider for different projects?
- How do you plan a project incorporating Integrated Product Teams?
- What skills and experience do you need to successfully utilise Integrated Product Teams?
- Does the use of Integrated Product Teams affect project documentation?
- What can go wrong in using Integrated Product Teams? How do you know when things are going wrong? What are your options for recovery?
- What is the role of system end users in Integrated Product Teams?
- How do Integrated Product Teams affect the support functions (e.g. maintenance)?
0. Seminar Introduction
- Workshop 0-1: Teamwork
1. Introduction to Concurrent Engineering / Integrated Product and Process Development
- the nature of Integrated Product Teams
- the problem addressed by CE/IPPD
- systems life cycles, systems development/systems engineering and IPPDs
- Workshop 1-1: Project Processes
- serial versus concurrent product and process development
- key tenets of IPPD
- the role of Integrated Product Teams in CE/IPPD
- expected benefits of IPPD/IPTs
- the track record of IPPD/IPTs
- myths about IPTs
2. Align IPTs to PBS (WBS)
- what is a PBS/WBS
- purpose of a PBS/WBS
- building a PBS/WBS
- PBS/WBS and IPTs related
- Workshop 2-1 Developing a PBS/WBS
3. Organizational Structures Using IPTs
- relationship to PBS/WBS
- IPTs and Product Cells
- IPTs and Functional Cells
- example organizational structures
4. Understanding IPTs
- when to use IPTs
- IPT Membership
- Workshop 4-1 IPT Membership
- IPT accountabilities
- influences on IPT Performance
- key success factors for IPTs
- team processes
- problem solving
- decision making
- types of IPT
- team size
- achieving customer focus
- challenges to IPT effectiveness
5. Teamworking Processes and Skills
- interacting with others
- Video Delivery: Team Member Interaction
- communication techniques
- Video Delivery: Communication
- personality profiling
6. Implementing IPTs
- IPT phases of maturity - forming, storming, norming and performing
- IPT formation and start-up
- changes - people, personal reward, performance
- types of team training
- IPT sponsor start-up considerations and actions
- Team Leader roles, duties and qualities
- Team Member roles, duties and qualities
- IPT kickoff meeting
- team rules
- meeting basics
- promoting interactions
- stakeholder focus
- stakeholder feedback
- Workshop 6-1: Stakeholder Focus
- infrastructure support
- software support
- enterprise partnering
- team champion
- rotation of team membership
- alternatives to team collocation
- coordination of IPT meetings
- high performance teams
7. IPTs and ...
- IPTs in acquisition
- IPTs and evolutionary acquisition
- IPTs and ISO 9001
- IPTs and PRINCE2®
- IPTs and the PMBOK
- IPTs and data management/configuration management
- IPTs and V&V
- IPTs and contemporary system life cycle standards
8. IPTs in Summary
About the Alternative Presenter
An executive professional manager and engineering practitioner, Mr Halligan is known worldwide for his role in the practice and improvement of major projects. His work was initially with government and major transnational companies. For the last 24 years, he has worked in a consulting and training capacity, delivering an extensive training program on six continents.
For further information on how to register, or to download a copy of the registration form, please click here.
Integrated Product Teams Seminar Schedule
How to Register
There are three simple ways to register to one of our courses.
- Online. You may register online by clicking the "register online" link next to the course of interest.
- Fax. Download a registration form by clicking the link above the schedule and fax the completed form to our offices on +61 3 9876 2664 (Australia) or +1 888 772 5191 (North America).
- Email. Download a registration form by clicking the link next to the course of interest and email the form here.
Upon receiving a completed registration form, a course confirmation letter and invoice will be sent electronically to the email provided within 1-2 business days. Payment can made by credit card or by bank transfer.
If you need any assistance with the registration process or have any queries, please call one of our friendly team members on Australia +61 3 9876 7345, UK +44 20 3286 1995, North America +1 888 772 5174, Brazil +55 11 3230 8256 or email us.
Closely Related Public Courses
- Human Systems Integration (5-day)
- CSEP & ASEP Certification (4-day)
- Integrated Product Teams (2-day)
- OCD & CONOPS in Capability Development (5-day)
- Specification Writing (2-day)
Closely Related On Site Courses
- Systems Engineering Overview (3-day)
- World Class Systems Engineering (2-day)
- Requirements Analysis, The Business Case for (2-hours)
"Have got a great deal from the course. Thanks! I will personally recommend the course to colleagues and training personnel"
Systems Engineering Seminar
All courses are available on-site
Benefits of on-site training for your organisation include:
- tailored in delivery to your industry
- savings of up to 50%
- encourages teamwork
- formal tailoring possible
Quote of the Day
Experience alone does not produce good specification writers. - Robert Halligan
Systems Engineering NEWSLETTER
SyEN makes informative reading for the project professional, containing scores of news and other items summarizing developments in the field of systems engineering and in directly related fields.