Systems Engineering FAQ
- Answers by Robert Halligan
- Q. What is Systems Engineering?
- Q. How do Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) and Enterprise Resource Planning relate to one another, and to Systems Engineering Management?
- Q. Can you have multiple parent requirements to a single child requirement?
- Q. What is the relationship of Cognitive Systems Engineering to Systems Engineering?
- Q. Do you have any comments on the book "Managing Complex Technical Projects"?
- Q. What is the relationship between a System Requirements Specification, an Operational Concept Description, and a System/Subsystem Design Description?
- E. Basis of Justifiable Verification Costs - Example
- Q. What are some pointers in managing technical projects for success?
- Q. Do you have any advice on the use of ISO/IEC 15288 (IEEE Std 15288-2008), Second Edition 2008-02-01, Systems and software engineering - System Life Cycle Processes?
- Q. What is the significance of different types of requirements such as states and modes, functional, performance, external interface, environmental, resource, physical, other qualities and design?
- Q. Your System Requirements Specification and Software Requirements Specification templates start off in a "4. Requirements" section with "4.1 Identification of External Interfaces", and "4.2 Identification of States and Modes". Why is that?
- Q. What are Interface Requirements Specifications, Interface Design Descriptions, Interface Control Documents, and how do they relate?
- Q. Would you agree that requirements engineering is a wicked problem as defined in Wikipedia?
- Q. How do all these terms relating to requirements figure?
- Q. What are some of the important terms relating to problem definition and stakeholder satisfaction?
- Q. What are the various types of interface information used in systems and software engineering, and how do these types of information relate to one another?
- Q. Do you have any application advice on ECSS-E-ST-10C, 6 March 2009, titled “Space engineering – System engineering general requirements”, from the European Space Agency?
- Q. What are the traceability relationships between SSS/SSDD/SRS?
- Q. How can quality system breakdown structures be produced?
- Q. What is the difference between requirements and specifications?
- Q. Do you have any advice on the systems engineering standard ISO/IEC 15288 (IEEE Std 15288-2008) - 2nd Edition “Systems and software engineering – System Life Cycle Processes”?
- Q. Why would you want to measure requirements quality?
- Q. SCRUM is an iterative and incremental agile software development method for managing software projects and conducting product or application development. What are the pros & cons of SCRUM? Does it really shorten product development?
- Q. What is the difference between an Operational Concept Description (OCD) and a Concept of Operations (CONOPS)?
- Q. I need to write and verify a requirement for the lifetime of our device. I am unclear about what lifetime means. I have heard words like service life, useful life, design life. I am wondering if you have any advice, or resources that I can refer to, to properly write the lifetime requirement?
"Arrived with no experience and leave with what I feel is a sound understanding"
Systems Engineering Course
PPI currently presents courses on 6 continents
14 - 18 November, 2016
This five day course addresses systems engineering as it is understood and practised by high-performance enterprises worldwide. Our Systems Engineering training provides an integrated approach to the set of management and technical disciplines which combine to optimize system effectiveness, enhance project success and reduce risk.
Systems Engineering NEWSLETTER
SyEN makes informative reading for the project professional, containing scores of news and other items summarizing developments in the field of systems engineering and in directly related fields.